CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, September 20, 2008

soy

I was reading an article in Yoga Journal about soy. There are conflicting opinions about soy consumption. On one side of the issue are doctors and researchers claiming that eating soy causes breast cancer and therefore should not be eaten in any quantity. The other side of the issue claims (likely obviously) that soy actually decreases the likelihood of breast cancer. My thoughts on it are that anything in excess can kill you (nutmeg included, though I suppose this has more to do with the fact that the outer part of a nutmeg nut is used to create mace). Anyway, they go on to say that it is virtually impossible to eat enough tofu to create problems, but soy ice cream and soy-based products make it easier to eat "too much" soy because they contain condensed soy. Since the jury is still out on this one I'm going to continue eating soy ice cream. I prefer tofu to condensed soy products and therefore am not too worried about that either.

While we're discussing soy ice cream I have to divulge my horrible secret. I LOVE So Delicious (Turtle Mountain frozen treats) soy ice cream. We visited the home of So Delicious (Eugene, OR) and were greeted with an array of frozen treats, the likes of which I've never seen! Next time we go to Eugene we're taking the cooler so I can buy the Lemon Cream. MMmmmmmm. After visiting their webpage I discovered that they give a percentage of their proceeds to Sea Turtle Restoration Project. Their desserts are organic and completely non-dairy. I haven't yet met one I don't like! For their other environmental ideals go here. Ideally, we'd like to make our own soy ice cream, for the time being I'll enjoy this!

Additionally, I've been trying to get back in the daily yoga and meditation routine. It's been difficult, mostly because I'm out of the habit. I forgot how much I love yoga. While perusing the Yoga Journal I began wondering if I'm missing out on something by not going to classes. Then I realized that I live in a college town and I've seen the people that take yoga. While I believe that everyone should do yoga, I don't want to be around everyone when I'm doing it. I really am an anti-group person. Weird.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can,t think yoga, and not think of you.your so good at it. I hurt just watching you.meditation I still do It helps,I can tell when I get away from doing it I feel like why so many fools? or I feel down. so stay centered.

peace

Julie said...

i suppose reducing soy wouln't hurt since it is grown far away lol... all these science folk have there own agends anyhoo.

Anonymous said...

I JUST DID A SOY SEARCH,GOD THEY SAY ITS MAKING KIDS GAY. I GUESS ITS HORMONES ARE LIKE ESTROGEN .
SO WHEN USED IN FORMULAR IT CAN SCREW KIDS UP. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO BELIEVE.WAS IT PAID FOR BY THE DAIRY ASSO? MAYBE WE SHOULD GO OUT ON THE LAWN AND GRAZE

Bird Wicks said...

I don't believe that it makes people gay, though it does have isoflavins (plant-based estrogen). Isoflavins are used in many menopause related treatments. I believe they've phased those out a little because of the concern relating to breast cancer.

As for reducing soy, other than tofu I'm all about that. We don't eat much tofu as it is, so I wouldn't really want to eat less, lol.