CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Ethno-ornithology, an Introduction



In order to give myself an excuse to explore a subject that I am interested in (and thought I'd made up) I'm going to attempt Ethno-ornithology Sundays. Today I'm going to give an introduction to ethno-ornithology, what it means and why I'm interested (why you should be too).

Ethno-ornithology is, as implied, the study of how people interact with and affect birds. Or, the relationship between people and birds. This is a relatively new branch of ethno-biology (visit the society of ethnobiology), which long ago created interest in ethno-botany and ethno-zoology (ethno-herpatology is another new branch of ethno-biology). These fields of study combine anthropological study methods with natural science procedures and apply them to the interpretation and description of people's knowledge and use of birds. This can include folk uses, historical interactions and present and future relationships. Of particular interest is the use of birds for food, medicine, decoration (hats, clothing, regalia) and in magick for divination and ritual.

This type of study can create an excellent platform for conservation efforts to build off of, though it hasn't been recognized as such for very long. Apparently ethno-ornithology is popular enough in the UK and Ireland that Ethnoornithology Research & Study Group (ERSG) has been created. In 2005 there was even a symposium in Australia.

I find all of this to be quite interesting, particularly since I thought I'd made this field of study up! Now, I'd like to find a university where I could possibly study ethno-ornithology. I want to study the folklore behind birds, past management efforts (and failures), how we're affecting birds today (particularly with urbanization and recreation) and where we're headed tomorrow (how we can make it a more positive path). That's asking a lot I'm sure. I'd be happy studying any of the above aspects and building off of that in my professional life. Currently I'm interested in the growth of urban backyard chickens. That'll be next weeks post probably. This introduction was short, but there isn't a lot of information out there, yet.

2 comments:

Julie said...

lovely

Anonymous said...

In moments of weakness-sick, or
alone on a bus ride-the valley dark
enclosing, or now, hiding in
a public restroom stall- two
women chatting at the sink-
while I stand caged not knowing
what they'll say at the sight of me,

i indulge in the horror
of remembering your smell.

Their voices, lilting laughter
fade. I forget them. I forget.
The specter of you pushes
in, a wing beat lingering, close,
caught in invisible updraughts.
Holding steady over a
world where blackbirds fall like rain.