CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, September 12, 2008

Praying mantis vs. Garden Spider


My favorite variety of spider is the garden spider. This is due, in part, to the large number of them we've found in our garden, because they have cool webs and we used to feed one that lived near our front door as a kid (we even incubated her egg sac). Nature tales has a great blog about spiders, including garden spiders. I also am fond of praying mantises as well. There were mantises everywhere at both Finley and EE Wilson. They're lovely in flight and when I stopped to talk to a green praying mantis at EE Wilson it stared at me and kept tilting its head, similar to Freyja's "what?" look.

Yesterday there was a show-down between these two insects. A large brown mantis had flown into a large garden spider's web. The garden spider had partially wrapped the praying mantis's head and front legs. Amazingly the mantis was putting up a fight, causing the spider to bite it and then walk away. As we watched I was filled with a mix of awe, at the spider's ability to catch and hold something as large as a praying mantis, and horror, at the mantis's obvious distress. Though I suppose another way to look at it is that the mantis put up a valiant fight, the spider was just too large.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

cool, you talk to all creatures every morning before i pull out of the driveway i talk to what i call the keepers of the creatures to protect them from me and me from thee like the little skunkies. i also tell the moon how beautiful it is; im not on any drugs. its just so nice and still at 3 am
love

Anonymous said...

Oh what a tangled web they weave.
I would have to be on drugs to get up at 3 in the morning so i talk to things at night!
Are you sure you want to be related to this family? LOL

me ann my camera said...

Great Garden Spider pic; I think they are so beautiful! Also thanks for the mention and referral.
ann at Nature Tales