CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, September 5, 2008

Bird Show of North America

I discovered, thanks to the Audubon magazine Jan/Feb 2008 issue, a new band today. They are the Bird Show of North America, from Seattle, WA. This is possibly the best thing I've found in a long time. CJ Miller is an avid birdwatcher, creating the theme for their music and performances. Their music is named after a bird species, the guitars and drums create the feeling of that bird. Ian Peters plays drums, CJ Miller plays guitar and Curtis Poortinga paints while they play (at the live performances). Yes, in the span of a song Poortinga creates a paining of the bird being "played." They have a myspace but I can't find a "real" website. Enjoy!

In the same issue there was a brief article about California Condors breeding in the redwoods and Mexico for the first time since 1930s. Amazing! Stories such as this bring great joy to my heart. Tonight changed my heart a little. I'm concerned that we've made this much progress and that McCain and Palin will be elected and destroy it all. I watched a clip of her Republican National Convention (RNC) speech. She has the audacity to say "What is [Obama] going to do once time has been turned back and the Earth healed?" Gee, Palin I don't know, maybe work on keeping it that way. What does she even mean? Everything about the RNC is disturbing. Guliani wags his finger at the Democrats (who I only support by necessity, I'm actually an Independent) for not mentioning 9/11. Um, Guliani, I'm pretty sure we've moved beyond that. Isn't that what we were told to do in the beginning, by the republicans none-the-less? He bad-mouths Obama for having "only" been a community organizer, yet use the word "service" as part of their theme for the convention. Apparently Obama should be more than a community organizer but it's okay for everyone else to be. In fact the phrase "community organizer" came up in various speeches. Lame. Also, the republicans keep mentioning that this country needs a "change." Today's politics are corrupt, don't take the "little people" into account and other similar issues. Did they forget that Bush is a republican? Oh wait, no they didn't forget. Even better they blame: European ideals, San Fransisco, Left-wing liberals, Democrats and a plethora of other people. The republican speakers even so far as to say that Washington D.C. has been controlled by the liberals for too long and it is time it became more conservative. More conservative? Is that possible? All of this makes me ponder my future.

I have a major in two things that the Republicans have every desire to destroy (natural resources and fisheries and wildlife). You can dispute it all you want, but that was my take-home message tonight. I'd like to work on a graduate degree in natural resources/environmental planning/restoration ecology, but where will that leave me? Will I be able to find work? Will I spend most of my time feeling like crying (I already do)? Even better, if the Democrats win will they be that different? Additionally, if McCain/Palin win there will be no gay rights, environmental concern, or social programs, I'm almost sure of it.

I'm sure there is more I'd like to say on all of this but it's late and I should head to bed.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

bird, they frighten me,all of them
things are going on take all these storms this is not just mother nature. nuveg