CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, August 29, 2008

Last day at Gallery Forest/Thistle sites

The black-headed grosbeaks are gone! It has been two weeks since I was there (because of Seattle and the class reunion) so I expected some change, but not quite as much as I encountered! There were some warbling vireos and hutton's vireos. Plenty of American goldfinches are still hanging out, purple and house finches too. No warblers, though the common yellowthroats are quite active. There were plentiful bushtits and black-capped chickadees, a handful of song and white-capped sparrows and a variety of raptors. This morning I was hesitant about going out, I was tired, I didn't want to be out in the heat, and I was feeling bad about the difficulty I sometimes have with bird calls (not songs). Once I got there and heard the birds I felt better. The sunrise was lovely, particularly over the pond/lake/marsh. I really do like EE Wilson, I wish they had more "all encompassing" management. Another day of surveying at EE Wilson and then I'll be done, other than the vegetation surveys. I'm sad that hunting even occurs, it's only about 10 miles from our place, I'd enjoy birdwatching all winter.

I've been mulling over a lot of environmental issues lately. I suppose that seems par for the course though , eh? McCain and Palin come from two of the least environmental states in the US (Arizona and Alaska consecutively). Obama and Biden come from two of the most environmental states (Illinois and Delaware consecutively). Regardless of any other policy they have their environmental record has won my vote. Some things every American should read are the Environmental Scorecard and the "top ten reasons to vote Obama/Biden". Really, everyone should just go to the League of Conservation Voters page anyway. Around "voting time" I always get a little down, a little reflective. The things that I love most in this world, that I have based my life on, are continually under attack. While the democrats are little more than a band-aid used in place of stitches, the republicans are a gapping wound. Maybe I care too much, maybe I want to do too much.

This all brings me around to grad school yet again. I want to get into the Urban Planing Program at UW, minor (or double major) in Wildlife Science and maybe get the certificate in Restoration Ecology. That's ambitious but I feel it's well-rounded. I suppose age and money will determine what route I follow exactly. I used to hate the idea of living in urban area, but the number of people, particularly poor and minorities, that can be reach is appealing. Eh, we'll see. I suppose this is all looking a little far ahead anyway!

0 comments: