CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, August 30, 2008

I HATE guns!

Today, my last day surveying for birds at EE Wilson, there was someone firing a gun, in what sounded like close proximity to my location. I tried to ignore it but it was too close to be ignored. There were also hounds baying in the distances, odd since hunting with hounds is illegal in Oregon (last time I checked). Hunting season doesn't open until Monday, what's going on?! Julie suggested that the person may have been training a dog to not be gun shy, so maybe a pointer of some sort. Eh, I still have to go to EE Wilson to do the vegetation surveys, that may be nerve wracking. One more day of "birding" to go. I hope it isn't foggy at Finley, though I'm sure it will be.

There were a few black-headed grosbeaks at the last site I was in. Black-capped chickadees were everywhere again, I'm starting to wonder if the small groups aren't all part of a larger flock that has spread out while feeding. Female macgillivray's and orange-crowned warblers allowed me a glimpse of their cute faces before flying off. There was also male wilson's warbler singing at some point. Apparently the warblers haven't quite left yet. I'm not sure where my love for warblers has come from, but every time I see them my heart leaps with joy! Something upset the killdeer that hang out near the "lake." They created quite a stir. I had been hoping that with all of the birds migrating out of the area, new ones would be coming in. If they have they weren't where I was! Why can't I just play with birds forever?!

2 comments:

Julie said...

perhaps you can just play with birds forever. That seems the aim of all this right?

Bird Wicks said...

haha, yeah i suppose it is :)