CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

More on ornithophobia

Most of the information that I've read on ornithophobia says that people afflicted with this phobia often had a traumatic experience as children. Maybe they were bit by a goose, had a bird fly in their face or were attacked by a rooster. I find this interesting, mostly because I've had plenty of crazy experiences with birds and they never affected me. I've been chased by geese, attacked by chickens and swallows, bit by any number of birds and my love for them continues to grow. So, for this very short entry I'd like to ask, what kind of experiences have you had with birds that have either made you fear them, left you unaffected, or made you love them more? Sadly I've found nothing else about Ornithophobia. I guess I expected to find professional sites about it. Oh well, maybe I'll search the library databases tomorrow.

On a side note, I'm doing a presentation on badgers for FW 255 (they're my secret adoration). I've discovered that they cache food sometimes. The study I'm presenting on discovered 27 Richard's ground squirrels that had been cached by badgers. Possibly the most intruiging part is that the squirrels appeared to have been removed from their burrows while hybernating. There was no evidence of how they died, they remained curled up in a ball (as in hybernation) and the badgers consumed them in the order they were cached. Badgers rock. I also discovered that there is a type of badger called a ferret badger, they're adorable. I think I'd like to meet one someday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

lordy they are cute.that honey badger kinda looks like a sloth, i like the urasian one so cute.are they related to skunks?

Bird Wicks said...

Badgers are from the Mustelidae family too, good guess! So are weasels, ferrets, mink and other critters similar to that.

Anonymous said...

see that bird im getting a free education, from your site and julies.i use to think people were crazy spending so much time on a computer,now that boy is out, im loving it.im on here for many many minutes.i feel im connected to you girls. lol

Bird Wicks said...

we love having you on here. it makes it seem like you're a little closer at least :) Now we just need to make you a blog!