CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Meriwether Lewis . . . depressed to the end

According to Scott Bonar, Meriwether Lewis was terribly depressed. He attempted suicide twice, once by trying to jump overboard from a steamboat. He then tried to shoot himself. Both of these attempts were made while on a trip east (from Louisiana, where he was governor) to explain why he wasn't a very good governor. In Tennessee Lewis rented a room in a cabin and then shot himself twice and then cut himself from head to toe with a razor (Bonar 2007). There aren't any pages that confirm what Bonar says here's a good background on Lewis. I like Bonar's book so far (The Conservation Professional's Guide to Working with People), though the uncertainty I have about Lewis actually cutting himself from head to toe is high.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

my gut tells me murder.it seems to me he still had alot he wanted to finish.

Bird Wicks said...

Yeah I find there is a lot of support for both murder and suicide. He was acting very depressed (or like he may have been manic-depressive because sometimes the things he did seemed pretty manic) but he also had a lot to live for. Having a friend that committed suicide though I realize that people can have dreams and goals and still end their lives for whatever reason.

Anonymous said...

THIS IS TRUE,WE ALL HAVE LOW TIMES.NOT TO GET RELIGIOUS ON YOU BUT SOME DAYS I JUST HAVE TO USE THE SAYING THIS TO SHALL PASS.