CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Ethno-ornithology Sunday: birds as merchandise

I've noticed a disturbing trend the last few years, which has led me to my next ethno-ornithology blog. Birds as merchandising. The plethora of t-shirts, bags, labels and other material goods being produced with bird designs is phenomenal. In addition, graphic "swallow" tattoos are becoming increasingly popular as well. Possibly the most disturbing aspect of this trend is that awareness of birds, how we affect them, that they need our help and things of this nature is not increasing. Most of the bird designs out there are graphic representations of birds, or crows and hummingbirds. If you ask people to name their favorite bird they don't know the names of any (really), most don't even realize that the bird on their shirt isn't real. Of course I have no real studies to back me up. This is simply an observational study I've had in the works (more on the back-burner but I've been busy so it's coming out a little early). I'd actually like to explore this further. Even better would be for Old Navy, American Eagle and all the other "bird crazy" trendy stores to put real birds on their goods. Anyone for a peregrine falcon? How about an osprey? Or maybe a yellow warbler? Eh, I don't know, as a bird lover I find it incredibly frustrating and fascinating. These birds are literally graphic designs removed from all reality. An animate object made into an inanimate one, and none of the supporters of this trend realize the irony. Everyone I've talked to that has bird related graphic designs on their person doesn't see what the big deal is. Something else that has always bothered me is the use of bird species as street names. The birds that are used won't be found there any longer, shoot most people that live there don't even know what bird they've actually replaced (or had their street named after). Ugh . . . This is not my best ethno-ornithology blog, but there isn't much to go off of other than my own opinion, which I assume is readily apparent.

I'm taking suggestions for next weeks ethno-ornithology blog. Got one for me? Leave it as a comment. Cheers.



An applique bird bag. It's lovely sure, do you know what bird this most closely resembles?

An example of the "swallow" tattoo that is so popular.

Hummingbird shirt, nothing much to say about it.
I searched for bird fabrics, rather than post a picture though I'll provide the link here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

o.k annie you have birdwear,whats your view?

Bird Wicks said...

I should clarify something here. I'm fond of the birdwatcher shirts that people wear. People who wear the "realistic" images are usually bird watchers, bird feeder keepers or patrons of conservation organizations. I only get irritated when I see someone wearing an old navy special that has some generic bird screened on and the person wearing it can't name a single species of bird.

Anonymous said...

im teasing my sister,i went to see her this weekend, she had on one of her many bird sweaters. i didnt ask her till we got home, if the bird was to be worn on the back or not,it wasnt we had a laugh.I get what your saying it would be like me wearing a football shirt and not knowing a damn thing about football.belive me i know annie knows her birds.

Julie said...

http://www.janeingramallen.com/Janeweb-birdstatement/Janeweb-birdstatement.htm

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Anonymous said...

Please, give me link to download XRumer 7.0!!!
Thanks!

Always yours,
miss MW