CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Thesis Project woes

I feel as though every time I talk about my thesis I feel more confused. Or like the project just keeps ballooning. Then shrinking. Then becoming something new. Something partially new, really. I've discovered that there isn't nearly as much research about Bewick's wren song/singing behavior as I'd like. That I will likely have to gather some baseline-type data myself (do they sing at dawn or dusk? do they have both type one and type two songs? what is their "normal" singing behavior?). There is talk about banding wrens to no for sure which birds I am monitoring. AND the coupe de grace is studying the effects of playback on the documented singing behavior. I can't tell if I've bitten off more than I can chew or not. What I do know is, I adore wrens, Bewick's wrens are not commonly nationwide and Bewick's wrens seem to be studied very little (outside of Donald Kroodsma who's PhD dissertation, from Oregon State, in the mid-70s involved Bewick's wrens at Finley NWR). Whew!

0 comments: