CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 16, 2012

Klamath Basin/Shasta weekend

Man, oh man! I took a break from the homework deluge (already) this weekend and headed to the Klamath Basin. The lakes were all predominantly ice and therefore the waterfowl birding was not quite what I'd hoped for. Still saw large flocks of snow and canada geese, some ross's geese, tundra swans and various ducks just not the size or variety I'm used to in the Klamath Basin. There were also many bald eagles, a juvenile golden eagle (hurray), rough-legged hawks, several loggerhead and northern shrikes (the first time I've seen a northern shrike!), a townsend's solitaire (also a first), cassin's finches, a great-horned owl and red crossbills (a first that I have been waiting most of my life for!). This is not a complete list, but an exciting list nevertheless. We hiked Captain Jack's Stronghold at sunset. We drove from Klamath Falls to Weed, a side of Shasta I've never seen. I find the Klamath Basin/Mt Shasta/Lava Beds part of this region to be so amazing. Breathtaking. A wonderful way to start the year/term. Here's to a year of great birding!

0 comments: